Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Would Die For You

How often do you really hear the lyrics of the song that's playing? Not just listening along but really focus on them and what they mean. I just got a new MercyMe CD a couple days ago and I absolutely love it. This morning, I was listening to it on my way into work and the last song caught my attention. I was singing along and got to the line where he says, "And I pray that You will use my life in whatever way Your name is glorified" when I heard this voice say, Do you really mean that?"

I don't normally hear God quite as clearly as I did this morning, so it surprised me a little and I literally spoke out loud in my car, "I'm sorry, what did You just say?"

Do you really mean that? Is your honest desire for me to use your life in whatever way glorifies Me?

My gut response is to say, "Of course! The reason I'm on this earth is to glorify You." I opened my mouth to say this when He lovingly reminded me that accepting hard times as part of His plan is not the same as desiring to go through those hard times if that's what it takes to bring Him glory.

Oh, well, hmm. That's a little harder. And I honestly can say that I don't generally welcome the hard times. I try to find a way to praise Him through the storm and find some solace in His plan but I rarely welcome the storm willingly. I'm pondering this when I hear the 2nd verse and it rocks me to the core. How can I possibly desire to give God less than everything when His death is the reason that I live? I am ashamed at how often I offer God less than my best. How often I complain about the minor hardships instead of focusing on my abundant blessings.

And yet He loves me, unconditionally, patiently turning my heart towards Him. What an awesome and almighty God we serve.

I Would Die For You

And I know that I can find You here'
Cause You promised me
You'll always be there
Times like these, it's hard to see
But somehow I have a peace, You're near
And I pray that You will use my life
In whatever way Your name is glorified
Even if surrendering
Means leaving everything behind

My life has never been this clear
Now I know the reason why I'm here
You never know why You're alive
Until you know what you would die for
I would die for You

And I know I don't have much to give
But I promise You I will give You all there is
How can I possibly do less
When through Your own death I live?

No greater love is found
Than of those who lay their own lives down
As sure as I live and breathe
Now I know what it means to be free

No comments: