Thursday, March 5, 2009

Abundant Blessings

I have been a terrible blogger lately. I can not believe that it has been over a month since I last posted! I kept meaning to get on and the time just flew by me. For the few of you who actually read this, I promise to try to do better in the future.

To give you a quick update, baby and I are still doing great. After much debate, we decided that Huey needed a more feminine name:) We finally settled on Alaina and love calling our daughter by her name! She's growing strong and we're over halfway there. Only 16 more weeks to go!

Scotlon is still out of work. It's been almost 6 weeks now and while we have some leads working, nothing definite yet. To add to that, the Department of Labor takes forever to approve unemployment when there's severance involved and we haven't seen the first check. For the last 4 weeks we've been surviving solely on my salary and on God's promise to provide. And has He ever...

I have a confession to make. We are terrible tithers. In the past we have always meant to tithe more consistently and have even had numerous discussions about it. However, we have never been consistent about following through. Until now. When Scotlon lost his job, it felt like the end of the world. When we calmed down we realized that God was using this period as a teaching opportunity. We were asking Him to provide for our needs and to bless us while being directly disobedient to what He was laying on our hearts. He made it abundantly clear that it was time for a change.

Can I tell you that He has provided in ways that we could never have imagined? He has strengthened our relationship in a time that we could have easily been at each others throats. He has poured out blessings from the most random places at exactly the time we need them. He has stretched our dollars further than we have ever been able to make them go on our own. It hasn't been easy and I don't expect that's going to change. But I would not trade the peace that has come from really trusting that He is in control for anything in the world.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
Phil. 4:6-7

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Love the name! I'll be praying for you guys. We are in the same situation with job stuff. I'm not working, and with the economy, Kyle has lost a ton of business. God provides, though! We are so blessed!